Thursday, April 7, 2011

TLC's 'Extreme Couponing' Stars


I love a good deal as much as the next person ... just not if it requires any sort of legwork. Yes, I'll admit it: I'm a retail snob.

In fact, a few months ago when I saw my best friend pull a small coupon binder out of her purse, I laughed. At her! For wanting to save money while shopping for her family of four!

I'm taking it all back now, because TLC's 'Extreme Couponing' (premieres Wed., April 6, 9PM ET) has made me see the blue light special. Sure the previews show a woman talking about spending time equivalent to a full-time job clipping coupons each week -- hence the "extreme" -- but the louder message is that every little bit makes a difference.

What's that saying? A penny saved is a penny earned? Even Benjamin Franklin realized there's nothing wrong with stashing your cash away for a rainy day. So why is there such a stingy stigma attached to using coupons?

I caught up with two of the show's couponers, Nathan Engels and Jessica Hacker, to hear a little bit more about how and why they started couponing, and they shared a few tips and crazy coupon success stories with me.

"Right after my daughter was born, about two years ago, I was on maternity leave trying to convince my husband I should get to stay home," Jessica shared, "and we just couldn't afford to. We'd just bought a new washer and dryer, and it came with a year's supply of laundry soap. So here I was with this whole booklet full of coupons for free Tide, and I was hooked.................

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Share

Infolinks In Text Ads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.